Post-Operative Laser Care Instructions: Sciton® Profile™ Microlaser Peel™
- Intense burning, redness, warmth, and a sunburned sensation are normal responses following a MicroLaser Peel™. The discomfort and redness generally last 2-8 hours after the procedure. Cool compresses with a damp, soft cloth for 10-20 minutes at a time may help relieve the temporary discomfort. Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Motrin, or Tylenol can be taken as directed for pain.
- Aquaphor or Vaseline should be applied 2-4 times daily during the first 3 days. It is important for the treated area to remain soft and pliable during healing. The skin should not be allowed to dry out.
- Within 24-48 hours the redness will have significantly improved if not completely gone away. The day after the procedure, your skin will feel tight and may be itchy. Peeling or flaking will start on the 2nd or 3rd day following your treatment. NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING, DO NOT PICK OR SCRUB YOUR SKIN. Let the peeling and flaking occur naturally over the course of 7-10 days.
- Quick cool to warm showers are recommended for the first 3 days. Use a mild cleanser such as Cetaphil then reapply the Aquaphor ointment.
- Aerobic exercise, saunas, and hot tubs should be avoided for 3 days.
- Avoid use of topical skin care products containing Retina-A, retinol, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid for 1 week.
- Makeup can be used on the third day after the procedure. Caution should be used when applying and removing makeup. The treated area may be delicate and should be treated with care.
- Some patients will wake up with facial swelling, particularly around the eyes for several days following the treatment. This is normal and usually resolves within 3-5 days. You may choose to sleep upright the first night after the procedure to avoid swelling of facial tissues.
- PROLONGED SUN EXPOSURE IS TO BE AVOIDED FOR 4 WEEKS BEFORE AND AFTER TREATMENT. A total sunblock containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide should be applied daily if you are in the sun. If further treatments are needed, a commitment to stay out of the sun is necessary. Sun exposure may cause certain complications such as permanent skin discoloration.
- Please contact us immediately if you develop a cold sore. For patients who have a history of frequent cold sores, you should be taking an anti-viral medication such as Valtrex or Famvir for 5 days after the laser peel.
**If you have any questions or concerns, please call the office 410-449-2060